1. Where are you currently interning and what are you doing?
I’m currently interning at SOCHE, much of my work has to do with historical documents and databases.
2. How is it helping you reach your career goals?
Being an intern at Soche is helping me strengthen my soft skills and has allowed me to network with potential future employers.
3. Do you plan on staying in the Dayton region?
I don’t plan on staying in the Dayton region after college.
4. Tell me a little bit about what you’ve learned throughout the course of the internship.
Throughout the course of my internship, I’ve learned a lot of basic office skills like using a copier, how meetings work, note-taking, etc. I also have learned about how to create filing systems, work on websites, and create efficient databases.
5. Why do you think it helps to learn on the job?
It helps to learn on the job because college can’t teach you everything. Having hands-on experience allows you to apply what you already know and then use it in the workplace.
6. What have you been able to accomplish so far at your internship?
I have created a new filing system for terminations, created a historical timeline of Soche history, created a spreadsheet for environmental programs throughout Ohio to compare research, working on database entry for alumni.
The Intern Spotlight Series are interviews conducted with current and past SOCHE Interns, discussing the value of their on-the-job experience at their internship.
If you are interested in hiring an intern, contact Patty Buddelmeyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (937) 258-8890.
If you are interested in applying for a SOCHE Internship, go to www.socheintern.org.