Cross Registration FAQ

Cross Registration

What institutions participate in cross registration?

All of the SOCHE members participate. The “home” institution is the institution where you currently are enrolled in a degree program for which academic credit is awarded (the definition of “program” is determined by your institution). The “host” institution is the institution which you would like to attend to cross register for a course.

How do I know if I’m eligible to cross register?

You are eligible for cross registration if you are in good academic standing at your home institution and meet any program eligibility requirements set by the home and host institutions. At the time of cross registration, you must currently be enrolled at your home institution in at least two courses at the undergraduate, graduate, or professional level in a degree program for which academic credit is awarded (the definition of “program” is determined by your institution).

Who should I contact on my campus to get information about cross registration?

The cross registration representative is the campus administrator responsible for assisting students in understanding and completing the cross registration process, ensuring the completion and transmittal of application forms, and helping students meet their responsibilities under the program.

How do I cross register?

You must complete a cross registration application form. The application must be signed by your academic advisor and by the cross registration representative at the home and host institutions. If the host institution course instructor’s or department’s approval is needed, you may be directed to obtain such approval. If disability services are needed, the accommodation plan must be approved from home institution’s disability office. Once all approvals have been obtained, the host institution’s cross registration representative will register you for the approved course on a space-available basis after the host institution’s regularly enrolled or continuing students have had first priority for registration.

Where can I obtain a Cross Registration Form?

The SOCHE Cross Registration Form is available online here.

Are there any restrictions on the types of courses for which I may cross register?

In general, you may not cross register at another institution if the desired course is available at your home institution during the same term. In addition, cross registration may not be used to register for non-credit continuing education courses, study aboard course, workshops, seminars, etc.

When and where do I pay my tuition for a cross registration course?

Students may cross register so long as they pay all regular tuition and fees, when due, to the home institution. Special fees (lab, parking, etc.) normally paid by the host institution’s students must be paid to the host institution by cross registration students.

What is my student status at the host institution?

If you register for a course through cross registration, you are considered a visiting student (which does not constitute regular admission to the host institution).

What is the maximum number of courses I can take through cross registration?

Students may cross register for no more than two courses per term at any host institution(s). Any student’s combined course load for a term at both the home and host institutions may not exceed the full-time course load allowable at the home institution.

How are grades for cross registration courses handled?

As a cross registration student, you are graded according to the academic standards and grading practices of the host institution. Upon completion of the course, the cross registration representative of the host institution will ensure that your transcript is sent to the cross registration representative of your home institution for inclusion on your official transcript.

What about cross-consortial registration?

Students enrolled in SOCHE member colleges and universities may also cross-register with members of the Greater Cincinnati Consortium of Colleges and Universities (CG3), according to the Cross-Consortial Guidelines. For more information about the GC3 institutions, visit